Saturday, March 31, 2007

'The Gardeners year' by Karel Capek


It is the end of March and I am going to be on time for the meeting of the Garden Blogger's Book Club, hosted this slowly passing winter by our fellow gardener and blogger
Carol at May Dreams Garden


Although Capek talks of gardening with tongue in cheek he touches on the depth of feeling we gardeners bring to growing, our preoccupation with all things of the garden and our bond with all others who seek to grow a garden.A different land and time stands not between the understanding of those who love plants and a garden.The illustrations alone told much of his story.

I particularly like the special ingredients listed as in his garden soil...
pieces of glass,mugs,broken dishes, nails,wire,bones,arrows,silver paper from slabs of chocolate,old coins,old pipes, plate glass,tiny mirrors,labels,tins, bits of string,buttons,horse shoes,etc...etc...
I wonder what will be found by future gardeners (or children) in our garden? Lost and never found...a pruning saw,several pairs of reading glass's,numerous pens, pencils, markers and crayons,and an army of small toy soldiers.


Today,as I tried not to step on emerging bulbs going about the gardens work I found myself thinking of Capeks ideas on the evolution of gardeners and wishing for (only half in jest) smaller feet,longer legs and better balance.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

Gloria... you are definitely on time and I appreciate you participating in the Garden Bloggers' Book Club once again. Now you've got me thinking about what someone might find in my garden soil 80 years from now. Where are those gloves I lost last spring and never found?

31/3/07 7:00 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Carol, I enjoyed visiting everyone blog post about 'The Gardener's Year'.
I have heard good things about the next book selection.

2/4/07 1:16 PM  
Blogger kate said...

This was such a fun book to read - I enjoyed it very much.

I am also happy that I am meeting fellow garden- and book-lovers. I must read your post about Amsonia ... I grew some in my old garden. I loved that plant!

5/4/07 10:50 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Hi kate, thank you for stopping by. The book club has been fun this winter.Carol does such a great job of hosting the meeting every month. She has a great imagination and gives the meetings real character. I will stop by and visit your blog soon.

6/4/07 1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home