Friday, May 18, 2007

May Blooms for May Dreams.




Salvia May Nights. I think we could use a few more of these.



Red-osier Dogwood, another berry for the birds. These do not last long birds eat them as fast as they ripen.

Holly (female). We have two females and one male. Looks like berries will be plentiful this year.

Spirea,was here from a previous gardener. We cut it back to the ground to rejuvenate the old shrubs. Grew back quickly blooming fully by the second season after cut.
Iris, these small pale ones bloom first each year.





Phlox subulata blooms heavily for a short period then is a nice green groundcover.






Heuchera
This pretty red flower draws humming birds but the foliage is plain green. Nice shape to the leaves and very reliable, winters well. Doesn't need fussing.






The hobbit garden has bloomed nicely this spring. Thyme and ajuga,columbine,heuchera,Lady'sMantle,creeping phlox. The dianthus is just beginning to form buds. It appears the corydalis lutea has disappeared. I wonder if it I should try again?




Aquilegia/Columbine
This was labeled
aquilegia canadensis
but was not. Very pretty and blooms lightly all summer. The only aquilegia I have ever had do so.








7 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

You have a lot blooming, I think you are just a week or so behind my central Indiana garden.

18/5/07 5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely blooms in Chicago! Thanks for sharing!

18/5/07 8:20 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Hi Gloria,

It looks as if spring has landed solidly in Chicago, too. With the exception of the holly, all the rest of your plants were in my last IL garden, so this was not just bloom day for me, but a bit of a nostalgia trip. I also tried Corydalis lutea and lost it, and had no luck with the Blue Panda either... if there's a trick to growing it, I never discovered it!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

19/5/07 3:57 PM  
Blogger tai haku said...

Ooh that Salvia is nice.

20/5/07 5:52 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Carol, yes you are just a bit ahead of the bloom times here in Chicago. Daylilies are forming scapes but no blooms opening.If it is as warm and rainy as the weather people predict then next week should bring on the multitudes.

Layanee, thanks for commenting. Stop by anytime.

Hi Annie, I saw on your blog that you have seen fireflies already this year. I am going searching for mention of sitings this evening.

Tai haku, I love this sage. It blooms early and has such a nice upright habit through bloom. Pretty May color.

21/5/07 11:09 PM  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

A hobbit garden, how cool! I love it.
That is a beautiful columbine, love the two colors, and the long spurs.
Heuchera is pretty too, but I don't think that is the same type of plant as my mystery flowers. I'm posting a photo of mine later today, it's a bit different.

24/5/07 1:42 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Salix tree, I think you are right about it being a Tellima Grandiflora. I did a google image search and found pictures to compare with yours. I like that fringe edge to the little flowers.

I saw your columbine/aquilegia with the bees. I have heard that called a granny's bonnet.
Don't you love the way they self seed but don't seem to bother other plants. I like the leaves as much as the flowers.

Glad you like the Hobbit garden. I did not want it to be too cute but it was fun to make the rock garden like space look like a hobbit hole.

24/5/07 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home