Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Looking For Adventure

Lake Katherine Nature Center is just a short distance from home and so is a family favorite for an impromptu hike. Exercise,fresh air and wildlife encounters may be counted upon. With the small lake on one side and the Sag canal on the other, cultivated gardens near the Center buildings and a great man made water fall that the kids love, showing up is all that is required.

With many paths to chose from everyone scattered, then met up on the other side of the meadow. If you look close you can see heads bobbing in the distance.


This time of year when the temperatures have dropped and the sun sets so early the trails tend to be rather empty of people. Not so for the birds and animals that are all around. Problems with the camera kept me from getting a picture of the beaver lodge on the lake edge along the trail. Signs are posted so it is easy to find if you take a walk around. No sighting of the beaver this day but you could see where it had been working. Many of the trees had wire fencing around the base to protect from the beaver but many were left unprotected. A fair compromise.


Have you ever noticed how entrancing the flow of water can be?
Many ducks swim the waters edge looking for food. We watched what looked like a hawk swoop prey across the canal, too far away to see well. The most fun was just as the sun reached the horizon. Hundreds of geese flew in and landed on the lake, honking loud and clear.


Just outside the center a clump of Lamb's ear still green and soft.


Giant butterflies grace the garden all through winters worst.

Do you have a favorite walking trail?


5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh yes I have a favorite walking trail. Luna and I go to a park here frequently. I like it best during winter when we have it all to ourselves.

It looks like you had great fun with your grands. I find water attractive too. Luna loves to get into the creeks and river here. I hate it when she does becasue she smells so doggie. I do allow her to jump in during the summer occasionally.

29/11/07 4:46 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

I had no idea that Nature Center was so pretty, Gloria - we've passed it quite often when back in Illinois to visit family. Now I have to see if my sister takes her kids there!

Water and wildlife - it does look like a great place for a walk.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

29/11/07 11:21 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I LOVE Lake Katherine! I visit there often, it's on my way home from work, but because it gets dark so early I probably won't be there for a while. Your pictures are great!

29/11/07 10:05 PM  
Blogger Wild Flora said...

I enjoyed taking your lovely virtual walk on this cold snowy day here in Nova Scotia. (From what I hear, you're getting hit by snow and ice there in Chicago too.) Lake Katherine sounds lovely. I can't believe I've never heard of it before, even though I lived in Chicago until 1993. Although I no longer live in the Pacific Northwest, my own favorite walking trail is still the Asahel Curtis nature trail just outside of Seattle. Just off the Interstate (90) is a patch of genuine old growth forest that includes 300-year-old western hemlock trees. The walk is fairly easy too. Highly recommended if you're ever in that part of the country.

2/12/07 4:00 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Hi Lisa,winter walks are fun. We like to look for animal tracks and then try to fiqure out what kind of animal passed through.

Annie, let me know what your sister says about Lake Katherine. Ask her if there is anywhere else in the area she likes to go walking that is open to the public. We like trying new areas.

Hi Chris, I figured you had been to Lake Katherine with all the nature walking you report in your blog. Have you seen the beaver? He probably only comes out when no one is around. I saw that some one placed a christmas wreath out there. I have a picture of the lodge now that our granddaughter took so may put it in this post later.

Wild Flora, I'm afraid we have nothing here in Chicago wilderness to rival the northwest.But we do have a few small prairie remnants that are fun to visit.

13/12/07 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home