Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Aronia arbutifolia - Red Chokeberry...update on cuttings from last year.

In 2007 I took a cutting from an aronia/chokeberry to use in the raingarden.
Last years posting 2007/09/growing-from-seed-taking-cuttings shows that it had rooted well and was growing.
Well I have not planted that cutting yet because I was worried about the rabbits eating it to the ground and keeping it that way. After the stems are thick enough and the shrub mature enough the critters seem to look for other food sources,(unless snow is deep enough to allow access to the tips).

So look what a year brings in growth. That is a 3 foot yardstick to show how tall the aronia has grown. After overwintering in the red folgers coffee can, buried and covered with a wire cage, it was transplanted to a larger container. I sort of wish I had just planted it into the ground and caged last year. Now I must dig a much bigger hole.

Look close and you can even see a few berries that will turn red as the leaves change making a lovely fall display . Several pictures of habit, berries and red foliage if you check the link .


The seedlings of Prairie dropseed (Sporobolus heterolepsis), Echinacea pallida and Baptisia australis (Blue Wild Indigo) were all planted out and growing well, but have not flowered this year. Patience is required when growing from seed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Those cuttings are looking good! I always enjoy looking back and seeing the results of the cuttings I make.

The rain garden is doing pretty good. There's no standing water after several heavy rains. So far it's been able to take 2 inches in 24 hours with no problems. I don't know how it would stand with more rain, but I'll probably find out this winter. Thanks for asking, I should do an update on it!

9/9/08 2:14 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Hi Dave, I would love to see an update of your raingarden. I know it takes a year or so for the plants to really take off. Most sites show the rain garden when it is first planted but seldom show ongoing progress. I have been such a culprit. I wanted to wait until the grasses grew to a more impressive size before showing again. The wild panicum is so full but the cultivar is slower as is the prarie dropseed. I have been assured prairie dropseed will do well in the rain garden but since it was started from seed it it taking some time to shine...Gloria

10/9/08 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home