Friday, February 15, 2008

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day February 15 2008

OK, so there are still no blooms out in the garden. There is life, waiting for the perfect moment to burst forth and grow. Buds everywhere...leaf buds...flower buds...poised...waiting.

To see what is happening in the rest of the Garden Blogger world this mid-February day, check in with our host Carol at May Dreams Garden.



Nanking Cherry blooms in late March/early April.

The Maple tree blooms are even earlier, sometimes as early as late February though probably a bit later this year.

A young Lilac bush will leaf out later in spring.

The Hawthorn lives up to its name.

A male Holly getting ready to produce pollen for the female.

A berry producing female holly.

Light brown winter buds will swell in spring then burst into soft new needle growth of a beautiful silvery blue on this young Blue Spruce.

Stand back a bit and it is still winter.


Grass still holding seeds and

old Oak-leaf hydrangea blooms in the snow and cold will wait for summer and a warmer sun.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

Yes, it is most definitely still winter in your garden, but those buds hold a lot of promise.

Thanks for joining in for bloom day again.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

15/2/08 7:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa at Greenbow said...

Wow Gloria, I am surprised you even have buds. This should be very encouraging to you. I will have to go out and see if my holly is doing anything. I didn't notice anything earlier. Mine is a volunteer. It is quite young. I don't know if it is male or female. I guess I will have to wait to see if it has berries.

15/2/08 7:48 PM  
Blogger The Forge Village Farmer said...

I love it when I start to see buds...it makes me feel like the winter will actually end... :)

15/2/08 8:47 PM  
Blogger Wild Flora said...

Such pretty pictures! The snow has melted here in Nova Scotia, the seed packets are showing up in all the stores, and we are starting to Think Spring. I wanted to thank you for stopping by during my sabbatical and for the encouragement to get back to blogging again. I start up tomorrow with an investigative report on peanut butter. Now I'm going to catch up on what you've been writing for the last month ...

16/2/08 2:56 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Carol counts buds, Gloria! Yours are beautiful, especially the lilac. Isn't evergreen holly pretty hard to grow in the Chicago area? It's common here but I don't remember seeing it back when I gardened in Illinois.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

27/2/08 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home