Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lurie Garden Chicago - January

The ice skating rink in Millenium Park.


A few pictures of before the cut back at the Lurie garden. The sun was shining and the air was fairly still. With temperatures in the mid thirties, it was a great day to be outside.

Veronicastrum stands tall and dark against buff colored grass and blue sky,


with sunlight seeming to shine forth from the grass creating shadowy contrast in darker stands.


Light plate from the boardwalk.

Look at the sun behind this Little blue stem (Schizachyrium scoparium) , so pretty.

The meadow in the Light plate.

When ever a breeze would blow the grass would lift and sway.


Dots.


The Dark Plate. Epimedium and a few ferns, undaunted by the winter so far.



Light playing in the Light Plate.





7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa at Greenbow said...

This just goes to show that gardens can be interesting during winter.

17/1/08 5:07 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Hey Lisa, yes gardens can be interesting in winter. It is supposed to snow today and turn very cold tomorrow. If I don't freeze my toes off the pictures sure be great.

17/1/08 10:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really like these photos; the colours are muted and soothing, the textures are great...actually, some of it reminds me of the waterfront gardens I saw in Windsor, Ontario, which has sort of similar conditions to you (very edge of tallgrass prairie lands, but on Detroit river. It was an amazing place to visit, though I was there in early October, not winter.)

17/1/08 11:22 AM  
Blogger Entangled said...

I appreciate seeing the winter photo of little bluestem! I'd been trying to wish my common broomsedge into little bluestem, but now I can see clearly that the winter appearance is really very similar. I love grasses in winter, but our "meadow" is due for it's annual haircut soon.

18/1/08 4:43 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Jodi,Piet Oudolf choses plants for the location and the climate working with nature to achieve a lasting beauty.While it is not really prairie it is a wildlife haven.

20/1/08 11:15 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

entangled, sometimes the weather has scattered all the white fuzzy seed of little bluestem by now. In spring it covers the ground under and around the grass like the cotton from cottonwood trees are known to do. But it does not fly around.
The Lurie cut back is beginning soon so I will document its denuding.

20/1/08 11:20 PM  
Blogger Wild Flora said...

I love these photos. I used to live in Chicago and am proud of the City of the Big Shoulders (and Tall Grasses) for giving such attention to native plants.

16/2/08 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home